Sullivan County DWI / DUI Lawyer
If you’re facing a DUI charge, it’s important to have a skilled defense attorney who will make a winning difference in the outcome of your case. You can succeed in your defense by navigating the intricacies of the law, crafting a persuasive defense strategy, and exploring all potential avenues for a successful defense
Scott Russell can increase the success of winning your case in these areas by providing the following:
- Expert Legal Representation: Scott Russell’s extensive DUI defense experience and ability to provide expert legal representation tailored to your specific case is crucial. If you’re facing a DUI charge, having a trustworthy DUI attorney like Scott on your side can make a big difference in your case.
- Crafting a Persuasive Defense: Developing a persuasive defense strategy is essential for a successful outcome in a DUI case. Scott’s expertise in crafting a compelling defense based on the evidence and legal intricacies can increase the chances of achieving a favorable result.
- Navigating Legal Intricacies: DUI cases can be complex, with specific legal nuances and procedures. It’s important to have someone like Scott who understands the law in NY.
BAC Limits and Implications in NY
In the state of New York, the legal limit for BAC is set at .08 percent. However, DUI cases can quickly become complex, and you may also face a DWAI (Driving While Ability Impaired) charge if your BAC is as low as .05 percent.
Defending against a DUI (Driving Under the Influence) charge goes beyond simply considering your blood alcohol content (BAC) at the time of being stopped.
For a DUI conviction to hold up in court, the prosecutor must establish two crucial facts:
- You were operating a vehicle.
- You were under the influence of alcohol or impaired by alcohol when you were stopped.
These two elements form the foundation of the state’s case against you.
However, the outcome of your defense depends on the expertise of your defense lawyer, who can effectively challenge the prosecution’s arguments and uncover any potential weaknesses in their case.
What does a DWAI in New York mean?
In New York, the driving impairment laws go beyond the standard DUI limit.
You could face a DWAI charge if your BAC reaches .05 percent or higher if intoxicated while driving.
Sometimes people think it’s ok to drive just because they’re under the legal limit for a DUI. However, this can still land you with a charge if your driving ability is affected by alcohol. This is an important factor for many DUI cases we see.
It’s essential to understand that both DUI and DWAI charges in New York are serious and require immediate attention and legal representation to navigate the legal process and protect one’s rights.
Casting Doubt on Your DUI Charge
Many possible defenses hinge on casting doubt on what the arresting officer is likely to testify to if the case goes to court:
- You “flunked” the field sobriety test because you suffer from a disability or the officer didn’t clearly explain what he wanted you to do.
- The officer didn’t actually see you driving. Maybe he approached you when your vehicle was parked.
- If the officer pulled you over on the roadway (this requires probable cause), you can ascertain whether the arresting officer did indeed have cause based on the records from your arrest.
- The arresting officer’s testimony and reports are subjective — largely based on their interpretations and personal feelings. We can help provide evidence as to why his subjective opinion is in error.
- Perhaps the officer’s dash cam or your own can prove that you mastered that field sobriety test, so there was no cause to subject you to a breathalyzer.
There are many defensive angles an experienced DUI attorney can take.
Don’t take the chance!
Call Scott Russell Law for a free consultation if you’ve been charged with driving under the influence or driving while impaired.
Just because you see those cruiser lights flashing behind you doesn’t always mean life as you know it is over. As a former prosecutor, Scott Russell is highly experienced and can help you handle any legal matter.
Call 845-741-3331 so we can help you fight back and minimize the damage of any traffic violation.
Scott’s experience as a DUI attorney in Sullivan County can help you understand the legal implications, potential consequences, and available options, allowing you to make informed decisions about your case specific to the NY area. Their expertise and guidance can provide much-needed support and assurance during this challenging time.
Why should I select Scott Russell as my attorney?
Scott Russell is a highly experienced and dedicated defense lawyer with a local record of success in handling DUI charges. He strives to provide exceptional legal guidance and support throughout your case. You can rely on him to assist you at every stage of the process.
How can you help me with my DUI case?
Scott will meticulously review the evidence, challenge any weaknesses in the prosecution’s case, and develop a tailored defense strategy to achieve the best possible outcome for your specific case.
Can you help me avoid a conviction?
While the outcome of any case depends on its unique circumstances, Scott’s vast experience allows him to explore all available options for potentially avoiding or minimizing the impact of a DUI conviction. He will use his expertise to negotiate with the prosecutor and pursue alternative sentencing if appropriate for your case.